We are working in Phang Nga in order to to gain an understanding of the local ecosystem, help with current environmental protection initiatives, and conduct research contributing to future conservation efforts. Our goal is to sustain the long-term conservation of marine and terrestrial systems by using a three-tiered approach:
1. Contribute to scientific understanding through research
2. Educate and inform local people about conservation issues
3. Building the capacity and desire of local people to operate sustainably.
How this project makes a difference:
Your presence as a intern will help to protect some of the world’s most beautiful forests and beaches. By adopting a holistic conservation approach, we are also educating the community on local environmental issues. This means dealing not only with research, but also the social and economic pressures that are leading to the destruction of Southern Thailand’s beautiful forests and beaches. You have an opportunity to help protect and conserve it.
*During national holidays and festival periods participants will have the opportunity to get involved with community celebrations and activities.
Phang Nga's short, mid, and long-term objectives
All of our programs have short, mid and long-term objectives that fit with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. This enables us to report on our collaborative impact across the world in a streamlined manner, measuring which UN SDGs we are making a substantial contribution to. Furthermore, this will help our local partners and communities measure and visualize their contribution to the UN SDGs.
Upon arrival to base, you will be educated about the history of the UN SDGs. You will learn about the specific goals of your location, the long-, mid- and short-term objectives, and also clarification of how your personal, shorter-term involvement contributes to these goals on a global level.
Our aim is to educate you on local and global issues, so that you continue to act as active global citizens after your program, helping to fulfil our mission of building a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference.
Learn about the long-term objectives you will be contributing to in Phang Nga:
1. To provide equal, quality education to children of all backgrounds.
2. To Promote Good Health and Wellbeing through education to all children
3. Increase skills for local people to assist with equal employment opportunities in our communities within Takuapa and Ban Nham Khem
4. Increase awareness of local populations to environmental issues and facilitate change towards sustainability through scientific studies.
5. Increase our in-country capacity by providing environmental and conservation education and training
6. To assist and develop local coastal conservation efforts through providing practical support to project partners, data collection, awareness raising and habitat restoration