Make your home among Cambodia’s untouched tropical beaches and explore its rich cultural history of Hinduism and Buddhism. Assist in making a positive change in the community of Phnom Penh when you join a group of like-minded volunteers to teach various subjects and run basic life-skills workshops. Your participation in this project will contribute towards enhancing both the social and educational landscape of the area.
While you work and live in the community of Phnom Penh you will get the opportunity to become truly immersed in this fascinating and friendly community, and get the chance to learn some of the local language, called Khmer, but pronounced as kuh-migh.
- Make a sustainable impact in the the lives of the local children by assisting in transforming their social environment and future prospects
- Live like a local and learn more about the Cambodian culture and learn the local language
- Improve your teaching and presenting skills with hands-on experience
- Visit iconic landmarks like the Royal Palace or the National Museum of Cambodia
- Experience true cultural immersion in the Cambodian way of life
- Contribute to UN Sustainable Development Goal #4, Quality Education
I worked with GVI as a volunteer every summer from 2006 to 2012 and had the opportunity to take part in most inspiring projects where GVI is promoting community development and sustainable livelihoods. Although GVI has been involved in different projects in different continents, all of them were designed to be holistic and focus on people’s needs and resources. This integrated conception of development caught my attention from the beginning, and has taught me that education sits at the center of all efforts to enhance the resilience of fragile communities all over the world.